Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Entrepreneur Journal Entry 2: One Man's Success

"One man's trash is another man's treasure," the saying goes, reminding us that value is all relative. But this idea expands beyond just physical items; I would venture to say "One man's failure is another man's success."

How could this be?

In my Intro to Entrepreneurship class this week, we discussed an article about successful entrepreneurs Chip and Joanna Gaines. The author of this article argued that the Gaines family couldn't possibly be as family-centered as they claimed while still running multiple businesses and product lines. Our teacher then asked us, "is it possible to have it all?"

The room separated into three main groups. the middle ground, those in agreement with the article, and those against it. As comments and points of information started darting back and forth across the room, I started to ponder the term "successful," which was being used as if it was a set definition that everyone understood.

My own conclusion is this: it is possible to "have it all" (meaning have success in life/business and put your family first), but that depends on your definition of success.

Some people's idea of success may be running a multimillion-dollar company. Perhaps to others, it's creating a non-profit organization that feeds thousands of children in Africa. Maybe some just want to make enough money to buy a house, a Lamborghini, and a maid service. But none of these things are my desire for success.

Success to me would be making a comfortable living for my family doing what I love. That's it. I want to continue producing quality content for others. If I'm doing that, I'm not working a day in my life--I'm living a busy, fulfilling, happy life with my family.

If that isn't success, I don't know what is.


No comments:

Post a Comment