Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Entrepreneur Journal Entry 5: What's In a Name?

"Sugar Bowl."
I think of a candy shop, but apparently, it's a bowling alley... I don't quite get it.

This week, the adventures of Shelby Givens continue. She's not giving up on this bowling alley, and I think she should. Like seriously, she needs to let it go. It feels as though she's treading water with this old bowling alley. She should move on to bigger and better things! I think Givens ought to tuck the progress on this project into her portfolio and move on in her career. At the end of the case study, she's offered a good job. As a class, we "voted with our feet" on whether or not we thought she should take it. I thought she should!

But the biggest thing that stuck out to me about this case study was the name, hence my opening reflection.

Sugar Bowl.

Sugar Bowl?

I've been trying to think of a good name and logo for my media production company for months. It takes effort, but anyone could have picked a better name than Sugar Bowl. That doesn't jive well with the vibe she's trying to create, which is a higher-end bowling lounge/club.

As one of my classmates pointed out, a name is a huge part of a company. To a return customer, a lot of emotion and memories are tied to a company's name. These can be good or bad; a positive or negative reputation. To a new customer, a name could be a significant factor in their decision to do business with said company. So changing a name has its pros and cons.

But anything besides "Sugar Bowl."

No comments:

Post a Comment