Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Entrepreneur Journal Entry 4: A Numbers Game

I absolutely hate math. In my mind, Satan does math as a hobby. I dropped Math for the Real World after one class period at the beginning of this semester; I looked at the first day’s homework and thought I was looking at Chinese. But the cold, hard truth is this: A lot of entrepreneurship is dealing with numbers. It’s a numbers game.

Reviewing the case study of Shelby Givens and Westlake Lanes was a healthy reminder of the importance of finances and strategy. Looking at those numbers on the last few pages felt like a smack in the face; a bucketful of ice-cold realization dumped on my head. I’ve had to file my taxes for the past three years and each time I did, I had to complete the “business owner” section of it. While my freelancing started out small, it’s grown into my sole source of income. Keeping records of business expenses, income, and tithing is crucial for thriving success, and I have to admit I’m not doing very well at that aspect of business. I’ve got to learn to play the numbers game.

Heck, when Brother Wasden asked us the total number of customers needed for Westlake Lanes to break even, I didn’t even know where to start. I felt like an idiot. But I think if I learn to handle the numbers I have, I will slowly begin to process and understand them despite their growth and complexity. Unfortunately, running my own business can’t only consist of putting my talents out there. It’s hard, stressful, tiring, but so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment